** Please Note: Shipping starts from 3/6/2019 **
In 2019, we mark the 50th anniversary of one of the most significant moments of human endeavour, and celebrate the Australian technology and ingenuity that allowed the world to share for the first time that a human walked on the Moon. The Apollo 11 lunar landing is commemorated in this 2019 $5 Silver Domed Proof Coin featuring colour print and nickel plating.
For fifty years the televised moon walk of the Apollo 11 lunar mission has been remembered as an historic moment. Regarded as one of humanity’s most significant achievements, the goal of Apollo 11 was to land a man on the Moon and return him safely to the Earth.
The Lunar Module Eagle landed on the Moon, in the Sea of Tranquliity, on 21 July 1969 (AEST). A few hours later, Commander Neil Armstrong, followed by Lunar Module Pilot Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin, became the first humans to walk on the Moon’s surface.
Television of the moon walk was transmitted to 600 million viewers, and two radio antennas in Australia were an integral part of this historic event. Based in Honeysuckle Creek ACT and Parkes NSW, these ‘dishes’ and their Australian operators were in position to receive and transmit the television images of the moon walk.
• One ounce of silver finished to the Mint’s high quality proof standard
• The Domed coin design captures the excitement of the historic lunar landing
• Features colour print and nickel plating
• Reverse features an Apollo 11 astronaut and the lunar module, Eagle, at Tranquility Base, with the Earth visible in the sky
• Obverse features the historic Parkes antenna pointed at the Moon, along with the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II sculpted by Ian
Metal: Fine Silver