On 6 June 1944 a vast Allied force landed on the beaches and fields of Normandy, northern France, to liberate German-occupied France. The 75th anniversary of the historic event, known as ‘D-Day’, is commemorated with this four-coin set created in collaboration between the Royal Mint, the Royal Australian Mint, the Royal Canadian Mint and the Royal Dutch Mint.
In 1940 Nazi Germany succeeded in occupying most of Europe. The D-Day landings of 6 June 1944 were part of a larger operation to liberate western Europe from Nazi control. The operation, codenamed ‘Neptune’, involved a vast military Allied force including air and naval forces. Years of preparation and planning went into the operation, carried out by British, American and Canadian troops with support from Australia, mainly in the form of air operations.
The landings resulted in over 10,000 Allied casualties, however over 850 troops along with vehicles and supplies were successfully landed.
The set includes special coins from the Royal Mints of the UK, Australia, Canada and the Netherlands. Each coin design depicts aspects of the successful D-Day invasion.
• Four coins in the set including United Kingdom £2, Australia $1, Canada $2 and Belgium 5 Euro
• Each coin design reflects aspects of the successful D-Day landings
• Australia’s reverse depicts the Australian air and naval forces, with a kangaroo at the bottom of the image
• Australian coin’s obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II designed by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
• Other coins are legal tender of: UK pound, Euro (Belgium), Canadian dollar
10000 Max Mintage
Australia $1 Coin
Weight: 9.00 g
Diameter: 25.00 mm
Metal: Aluminium Bronze
UK £2 Coin
Weight: 12.00 g
Diameter: 28.40 mm
Canada $2 Coin
Weight: 6.99 g
Diameter: 28.00 mm
Belgium €5 Coin
Weight: 12.00 g
Diameter: 30.00 mm
Metal: Copper Nickel